Dr. José Villalaín Boullón
Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Universidad Miguel Hernandez
Molecular Diagnostic and Therapies
Viral Membrane Proteins
+ 34 966 65 87 62
- Study of the structure and interaction of DENV virus-derived peptide libraries comprising the viral structural and non-structural proteins with model biomembranes, aiming to identify their molecular mechanism and biological function. Screening of peptide libraries to identify membranotropic determinants, characterize the interactions in structural terms, study the structure of the membranotropic segments, and make a detailed study of the interaction, modulation and structure of these peptide segments with membranes and living cells.
- Developing molecular dynamics bioinformatic tools to study the interaction of viral proteins with biomembranes to find new antivirals and therapeutic targets to develop new leading compounds useful for improved combined therapies.
- Previous positions:
1. Assistant Professor in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – University of Murcia – 1983/1987.
2. Lecturer in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – University of Murcia – 1987/1997.
3.- Lecturer in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – University “Miguel Hernández” – 1997/2003.
4. Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – University “Miguel Hernández” – 2003/present.
- Postdoctoral positions:
1. Dept. of Biochemistry, Charing Cross Hospital medical School, London, 1985.
2. Dept. of Biochemistry, Royal Free Hospital Medical School (Infrared Spectroscopy of biomembrane systems), London, 1987.
3. Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Oxford (NMR of proteins), 1994.
- PhD with Honors, University of the Basque Country, 1983 (Director: Prof. Antonio V. Xavier).
- Degree in Biology.
Carpio L. E. & Villalaín J. (2019)
Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2019.1697368
Identification of the phospholipid binding regions of the envelope E protein of flaviviruses by molecular dynamics.
Villalaín J. (2019)
Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2018.1508372
Epigallocatechin-3-gallate location and interaction with late endosomal and plasma membrane model membranes by molecular dynamics.
Fajardo-Sánchez E. et al. (2017)
Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2016.1229219
Location of the bioactive pentacyclic triterpene ursolic acid in the membrane. A molecular dynamics study.
Fajardo-Sánchez E., et al. (2017)
Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics , DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2016.1179595
Molecular dynamics study of the membrane interaction of a membranotropic dengue virus C protein-derived peptide.
Galiano V. & Villalaín J. (2016)
The Journal of Membrane Biology, DOI: 10.1007/s00232-016-9876-3
The Location of the Protonated and Unprotonated Forms of Arbidol in the Membrane: A Molecular Dynamics Study.